Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Embracing ambition



This is something I have to do. I have to embrace ambition.

There’s this whole THING with writers and artists about being noble and wanting to create are for the sake of the art. And, yes, on the spiritual level, I want to create something that pleases me, and speaks for me, and helps people think about their own lives. But I also want to create something that’s commercially viable.

I love the art of Alfonse Mucha and Maxfield Parrish. I used to argue with art student friends about guys like them, who were not considered true artists because their art helped sell theater tickets or gelatin.

Is “To Kill a Mockingbird” any less great art because it sold so well? It would be an honor to touch so many people and say something that matters to them.

Just writing this makes me feel VERY uncomfortable. I need to get over this and be okay with crafting and selling my work. With trying harder.

Just look at that image, and tell me that’s not art. How come Vermeer is considered a true artist when he painted portraits on commission? All famous painters paint for money on some level.

Any advice on overcoming this issue of being ashamed of ambition will be much appreciated.

2 comments:

the last noel said...

There's nothing wrong with creating art that sells--if you can judge the market. I mean tastes change constantly and what sells today, may not sell tomorrow. I keep hoping writing about queer, Filipino, inner-city fiction will be the next big thing.

Sundry said...

Thanks. Yes. I wouldn't want to bend my content to make a "blockbuster," but I want to feel better about wanting to be a success. I will not be writing The Hoosier Code anytime soon.

I think you're going to MAKE queer, Filipino, inner-city fiction the next big thing.