Sunday, July 29, 2007

Farmer's Market Adventure- Saturday 7/28/2007


My first objective upon arriving at the Farmer's Market was lunch at Monsieur Marcel. Hydra was meeting an old friend for lunch in Culver City and dropped me off on the way. The food's good here, unpretentious and not badly priced especially for French food.

They really should break loose some of the salt and pepper grinders they sell in the gourmet shop, though, don't you think? The flowers are nice, but otherwise it's a diner set up!

I had a hard time deciding. I had a wonderful salmon salad when Mom and I were here last October. Thought about the Charcueterie Francaise, which include duck rillettes (my oh my...duck meat in reduced duck fat which is heaven on French bread), but it was a hot day, and all those meats seemed like a bad call.

They bring you a tiny bowl of assorted olives and a basket of breads. House chardonnay was refreshing.


It seems only fitting, after all those photos I took of meals in France, I should take a photo of the first French meal I had back in the States. Croque Marcel and fresh greens...there's turkey and goat cheese inside. I hardly ever let the restaurant dress the salad, but this was nice and light.

After the meal, into Monsieur Marcel's gourmet shop, where I sampled olives (and brought some home), found the same brand of mustard I'd bought in France, and bought an Egyptian dipping spice mix. Fun just wandering around in there.


I roamed around the market for about an hour, just snapping photos of people and things that caught my eye. Fun, for me!


If you weren't eating ice cream, you were probably thinking about it. The market's a jumble of old stands with awnings. It was uncharacteristically humid in L.A. Whew.

I was going for a photograph of this Todd Goldman painting at Jack Gallery, but I like the way the other painting in the background looks like it's printed on the reflection of the guy in the right's polo shirt.



On the way home, we missed a couple of freeway entrances and decided to check out our first L.A. neighborhood, which was near LA City College. Along the way, I saw this sign outside a Jolibee restaurant.

While I'm interested in expanding my meager experience of the cuisine of the Philippines, I have to admit that neither of these items sounds enticing.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, you were in my neck of the woods! I haven't ventured into the Jolibee yet but it always seems to be bustling.

And that guy in the photo with the Todd Goldman picture looks like he thinks you're the paparazzi.

the last noel said...

This is hilarious. I can't stop eating at Jolibee. I just love that I can get fried chicken and steamed rice in one place.

Sundry said...

Liz- It was interesting driving through our old neighborhood. 1234 North Edgemont has been repainted and doesn't look nearly as depressing and cave-like as it felt when we left it. Our first-ever Thai place is gone, but Pizza Paul's on Heliotrope remains. Good stuff.

Noel-- So...what would you recommend at Jolibee? The Crispy Chickenjoy?

the last noel said...

I would recommend the Crispy Chickenjoy. I like their chicken because it feels lightly fried, not deep fried. It's not battered up where it's crusting over. In other words, I don't feel as sinful when I eat it. And I enjoy the steamed rice instead of fries.

Sundry said...

Mmmm. That sounds so good. And me here with nothing but Trader Joe's Fiber Ohs and blueberries. Sniffle.