Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Democracy Inaction - Election Day 2006

I was at my polling station today, had just finished up and was heading to the ballot box to insert my ballot, when another woman came out of her voting booth and said that she'd messed up and voted wrong on one of her items. She asked what she was supposed to do.

An older woman behind the registration desk said she could give them back her ballot, and they would void it. Or if she didn't feel too strongly about it, she could just go ahead and turn it in. And then the registration woman just stood there for a few seconds, not making a move to get a new ballot, implying that--what?--it was _wasteful_ or something to get another ballot?

The voter hesitated. Before she could give up, I said in a fairly loud voice, "I think if she wants to fix her ballot, she should be given another ballot and she should be able to fix it." Or something.

"Yes," the voter said, turning back to the booth to get her ballot. "Thank you," she said to me, as she turned it in for a fresh one.

Damn!

I'd like to think I'd do the same thing if I hadn't recognized her from a local political debate a few years ago as a Democrat.

3 comments:

DirkStar said...

Whew, what an astounding night...
We can sleep now knowing our country is safer from acts of republican terrorism.

Uh, my wife wants to know where you got the shoes. Please, she's pregnant with our first... You have to tell me!

By the by, please stop by OregonDistrict.com and help some of my good friends get a nice site off the ground. And stop by the house of the unholy, (thats me) and say hello!

Sundry said...

Ah, I love to spread the joy of Crocs.

I got mine at a poster/head shop in Ventura, CA, called Wild Planet. The good news is, you can get them all over the place. They sell them in Hallmark stores, of all places. My mom lives in Indiana, and I think that's where she found hers. They're also available online at www.crocs.com, but the sizing is a little odd, so trying them on is a good idea. They run a little wide and a little short.

They are soo comfortable. Especially the classic sort of Earthshoe-looking ones like my pinks.

Good news: you can have some too! They come in "boy colors," too. You know, black, brown, sage. Poor boys. Go for the orange!

Anonymous said...

Brava on two counts: Standing up for justice (especially for Democrats), and getting past 13k on NaNo! WOW!