Sunday, June 24, 2007

Summer Solstice


I practiced my Summer Solstice commitment observation over a demitasse of fresh sage tea. Outside.

I write best when I can conjure that same feeling I get from being in a place of great natural beauty. Dropping the barriers that arise between my self and the other people, flora and fauna on the planet.

Why sage tea? Because when I first started practicing little rituals of intention around my writing (after attending the Art of the Wild conference in Squaw Valley), I found that sage smudges give me headaches. But there's something about the earthy scent of sage that works for me.

If you want to try sage tea, pour freshly boiled water over 4-5 small leaves in 4-6 ounces of water. If you don't have small leaves, you can use 1-2 large leaves. It helps to cut into each leaf a few times angling toward the center stem but not cutting all the way through to release the oils inside.

No comments: