Friday, April 07, 2006

Bean Cleaning

/

I keep saying that one of the things I like about my job is that I learn something everyday. I think it's true, but I've decided to keep a log of these fabulous tidbits for a month just to see what sort of stuff is actually accumulating in my brain. A lot of it is really esoteric.

Like today’s thing: there is an SIC (Standard Industrial Classification) code for the business of “bean cleaning.” Which means there must be enough bean cleaners out there to make a difference in the business world. They’re listed under the general classification of “crop preparation services for market, except for cotton ginning.”

Not the sort of thing I plan to drop into casual conversation any time soon, but something I know today that I did not know yesterday. And which will probably come to mind along with the codes for “eating places” and “drinking places,” which I probably use dozens of times a week in coming up with fictional restaurant names.

I wonder, are there kids out there pining to one day become bean cleaners? Are you, perhaps, contemplating tossing in the towel of your complicated profession and even now considering the simple pleasures of bean cleaning?

[photo from the Internet]

1 comment:

the last noel said...

I don't know why I thought this post was so funny. I guess the concept of Bean Cleaner interests me.