Friday, May 19, 2006

Office du Jour - Thursday 5/18/2006


I had a very difficult day on Wednesday. I wrote for about 4 hours, struggling to keep my concentration and not always winning. Only got a few decent paragraphs, but it was some progress. Then I managed somehow to save an old version over everything I’d done and wiped out all of the day’s writing. Gave me a stomach ache.

So on Thursday I had my morning telephone chat with my mother, and then took myself off to Panera to write. Worked there for an hour and a half, then ran an errand, then had a wonderful Mexican lunch while reading a novel. Barnes and Noble was closed due to a power outtage, so I went to Starbucks, where I could actually plug in my laptop, whose battery was getting depleted. Worked there for another 2 hours.

Yes, on Day 6 of my 9 day vacation, I hit my stride. Had a good day of consolidating and moving things around. I have realized that when I get stuck in writing it’s often because I don’t know which choice to make for the characters or the plot. What I have to do is decide to chose one and move on it, and be willing to scrap it. Better to write something that you can’t use than not to write at all.

Please remind me of this the next time you see me gnashing my teeth in frustration.

So, after all that. This photo is of my office on Thursday. The Starbucks in Palmdale.

1 comment:

the last noel said...

I think Starbucks is the office of alot of writers.