Saturday, July 22, 2006

How much are those pickled onions in the window? - Friday 7/21/2006



Free! Well, sort of. Free to my friends and family.

Finally acheived my little goal of putting up some pickled onions. It takes 3-6 months for them to pickle well, so I will have some in time for Thanksgiving. D’s cousin, MC, loves them as much as I do. It’s from his grandma’s recipe.

It’s one of those recipes with lots of wiggle room. Cider vinegar, pickling spices and onions. Aunt M uses full strength vinegar, but I water mine down by about 2/3 to 1/2. The amount of pickling spices is anyone’s guess.

These jars are in the back of my fridge now, and there they’ll stay till the onions are infused with the color of the vinegar.

To celebrate, I ate one of the 3 remaining onions from the last batch with slivers of sharp cheddar cheese.

No comments: