Monday, August 28, 2006

43 Books/Authors #2 - Ray Bradbury

/

He was my first author. You know, the first author who’s books I sought out because he wrote them. I waited for his new books to be released.

I remember receiving The Martian Chronicles for Christmas when I was in 8th grade. I don’t know if I’d asked for science fiction or for him specifically, but it was a much coveted book and I was thrilled. I like his style of science fiction, which is more about putting real human beings in unusual situations and seeing how they’ll react and adapt. I think he celebrates humanity, with all its flaws.

My junior English teacher knew him, because her father was the famed E.E. “Doc” Smith, a very early sci-fi writer. She didn’t much like Bradbury and we argued about whether he wrote science fiction or science fantasy. Not enough nuts and bolts for her.

I met Bradbury briefly at a reading about 10 years ago and dropped my teacher’s name…told him how I’d defended him. He is very generous to writers and does lots of readings and signings. He signed my copy of Zen and the Art of Writing.

No comments: