Tuesday, September 12, 2006

New Old Road - Monday 9/11/2006

I love driving down a road I have never been on before. It’s one of my favorite things to do on a weekend. Go drive somewhere and know I have never seen this place before.

There are a lot of little roads leading off the two-lane highways or roads around where I live that I haven’t explored yet. I took this one on Monday afternoon. It winds down about 600 feet to what looks like an abandoned farm after crossing the railroad tracks.

It was a very narrow but nicely paved road, so I wonder if it’s maintained as an access to the tracks. If I’d met anyone with a car any bigger than my little Echo, one of us would probably have had to back up.

This is the view from about half way down. You can see the train tracks at the bottom and the tunnel where Soledad Canyon Road passes through the mountain on the upper left. The farmstead is just to the left of the tracks.


It was slightly creepy at the bottom… Maybe just tapped into some reptilian part of my brain that knew that there was just one really viable way out with my car.

Here's a shot of the falling-in barn, for those who are curious enough to have followed me this far.

.

2 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

It all seems so remote, like another planet instead of only a hop, skip and jump away from here. Without a doubt, this city girl thinks coyotes and rattlesnakes are living in there.

Sundry said...

Really interesting that you should comment this way on this one. I was thinking similar thoughts when I went down that road. It's really an amazing thing to go from the metropolis to the mountains every weekday. I revel in having access to both.

You're right, there are certainly snakes and coyotes out here...we've even had bobcat sightings on the outskirts town this year. Also lots of bunnies and birds, including roadrunners.