Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Some Days Are More Interesting Than Others - Wednesday 12/20/2006


When I got to work this morning, I found this in the photocopy machine. It's a holiday greeting from my boss's almost 8-year-old daughter to her family. It started my work day with a big warm smile.

Thanks, Peachy, for letting me post your daughter's sentiments. I couldn't have said it better!



I'm actually glad that the first photo of the day had slipped my mind, or I might not have gotten this one. Do you know what this is?

Ween and I took lunch and DVDs to our pal, Scryblgrrl, who is under the weather these days. We had a great chat with her and her mom, the energetic and entertaining Ms. Boop. On the way out, Ween brought this to my attention.

We were all the way out on the street when I said, "You know, I'm not going to see anything better than that today!" So we went back and made Ms. Boop come down and open the security door for us.

This, my friends, is a mid-2oth Century remote door opener! Scryblgrrl demonstrates how you open and shut the door at the bottom of the stairs with this cool gadget. It's completely built into the wall.

Pretty clever. Also speaks of a time when you could comfortably leave the bottom door unlocked (there's a lockable door at the top of this private entrance stairway). Makes me wonder what other subtle marvels lurk around this old Hollywood neighborhood.

2 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

That is really neat! This is the kind of stuff that you just don't find in modern apartments. How cool that you got to see it.

Anonymous said...

two more winners! A happy part of my day includes checking to see what's on your blog now! Thanks!