Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Getting Some Louvre-age - Monday 5/7/2007



We breakfasted at our hotel, the Minerve Hotel on the rue des Ecoles, which we later learned is one of the oldest streets in Paris. One of our first stops was Shakespeare & Company, to which I returned several times during this trip.

Hydra danced on the Seine. Then we both danced on the Seine. This is the big finish, taken by Mom from the street above. There was some laughter. There was even a little clapping from the folks we shared the walkway with.


These kids were tickled that they were in somebody's shot of the entance to the Louvre.


She's impressive, even when mobbed. It was a busy day at the museum and the hallway below her was filled with people. I got one close up shot of her wing that I like a lot too.


Can't say what this is a detail of. Unfortunately, I didn't take very good photo notes. I didn't know at this point that I would end up taking more than 1700 photos on this trip. I took quite a few shots of hands...thanks in part to the book that Gia gave me for my birthday.


I'm pretty sure I felt something similar when I met the Scribe for the first time.


This modern installation seems amusing from above. I wonder if it's a little creepy from below.


The architecture of the Louvre itself is fascinating. But often it's hard to capture because the ceilings are so high and the light is not directed upward. I wonder how all the fantastic ceiling paintings and carvings were illuminated back in the day, or if they were. It must have been an eerie place at night.

Another theme that shows up in my photographic life is doors and windows. This is actually a series of doors. No mirrors were used in the creation of this image!

We had a lot of fun in the ancient Middle East section of the Louvre, too. We went there just as our energy began to lag and it perked us up.

Had our first real meal in Paris (we'd dined on cheeses, crackers and wine in the hotel room the night before). Mom had escargot and a little of my cassoulet (beans, sausage and some sort of hock... ham? rabbit? Do rabbits have hocks?). Hydra had an amazing chicken in mushroom, onion and carrot sauce with pureed (have the French ever mashed anything?) potatoes. Wine all round. A fabulous trio of creme brulees served in espresso cups for dessert: coffee, chocolate and vanilla.

No comments: