Sunday, November 27, 2005

Blood on the sidewalk Sunday 11/27/2005

/

Sadly, the neighbor’s cat killed another bird from our back yard today. This blood is all that’s left of a life.

The neighbor threw all her five cats out of the house a few years ago when she became allergic. Grrr.

“The rest of them ran away!” she says. More likely they were eaten by coyotes. We’ve found cat skulls on our walks in the hills around here.

I like cats a lot, but I don’t understand how animal-loving people can let them roam to kill. Domestic and feral cats are the number one reason for diminishing numbers of songbirds in the U.S., I’ve read.

I just have to hope that the population balance works in favor of the birds because I’m feeding them. I understand that I’m creating an unnatural concentration of them by providing seed and water, but it still hurts to find blood and body parts on the sidewalk.

It just struck me that this smear looks like the Nike swoosh. Hmm. In another context, it could make a political statement. I dunno about what, but…you know, dEEp.

1 comment:

the last noel said...

YOu're becoming quite the photographer. I must admit that there is something quite profound about this photo.