Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I Am Not Supposed to Be Here - Tuesday 2/14/2006



Yes. These photos were taken at the Glendale station.

Yes, that's the stop AFTER mine. I was having a nice time interacting with my fellow passengers when I recognized the view outside the window as BURBANK. In the seconds it took to grab my backpack, get up, turn back for my tea mug, and get down the stairs--I like to sit at a table on the upper deck--the doors shut. They don't open again even if you push the little button.

Honestly, they shouldn't. Everyone shouldn't have to pay for my mistake. I was pretty upset in the first seconds, and would have liked to have burst into tears, but I didn't. Some nice folks informed me that I could get off at the next stop and that at this early hour there are a lot of trains going back and forth along this part of the line.

It only put me off my schedule by about 20 minutes. Not so bad. Trains only leave Acton every hour or so, so I was initially concerned that I'd be stuck for a long time. I think the Media District shuttle driver took me directly to my stop when he was supposed to wind through the Warner Brothers and NBC lots.

I felt pretty exhilerated as I walked the last six or so blocks to work. It's really nice to share smiles and to let people help you out a little. Much more gratifying than getting angry at the guy weaving in and out of the freeway lanes ahead of you.

Much food for thought in this experiment.

No comments: