Thursday, April 20, 2006

#9 Writing Down the Bones - Natalie Goldberg

/

This book changed my life. Not that it’s the only one that’s had a big effect, but seriously, it changed my life.

I think I’d graduated but was still working on campus when I read this book. It talked about having writing dates—getting together with another writer to write and talk about the writing. I invited a co-worker to go on a writing date, and she took me up on it!

We started having writing dates, and then she told me about a writing group she’d been in, and I joined that for a few years. She and I are still friends years later.

Writing dates are a big part of my writing life. I’ve had several long-term writer relationships that involved writing dates. It’s not exactly a writing partner situation, because we’re working on our own projects. But it’s good to meet, talk about how things are going, write for an hour or two, and maybe share the work.

I think part of why it works is that you are respecting what the other person is doing and they are respecting what you are doing.

No comments: