Monday, September 18, 2006

Past and Future - Sunday 9/17/2006


As part of cleaning up my studio, which had gotten pretty messy and uninviting, I made shelf space for my stash of as-yet-unused bound notebooks.

A few months ago a good stationary store told me that the company that makes these wonderful notebooks had been sold to a bigger company and they were no longer making them. I made some calls and found them at the UCLA LuValle bookstore where I have bought them since 1990. With Hydra’s encouragement I went and bought 10 of them, which should get me through several years. These are 300+ page hardbound notebooks with wonderful heavy paper and numbered pages. They’re called legal notebooks for whatever reason.

So I thought, hmm, I’ll take a photo of this. My future in writing is right here, irregardless of my publishing future. And then I realized that my past is right there, too. Photos of my mother and my father, taken before they met each other. Surrounded by stones I found on the beach near Hedgebrook (writing retreat) and little animal figures given to me by my writer friends.

2 comments:

the last noel said...

Of the last several pics, I'd seen, this if my favorite. There's something classic and mature about it. Ur, as opposed to the bird and pizza box which reminds me of a keg party. LOL.

Wynn Bexton said...

Ah, lovely nostalgic photo. And the mere mention of "Hedgebrook" evoked such wonderful memories!