Friday, October 27, 2006

#77 Amargosa (2000)

/

Okay, anybody with a spec of creativity in his or her bones needs to see this film. I went to the Amargosa Opera House and saw Marta Becket’s one-woman show last weekend. When I got home I found this documentary on Netflix.

It is very well done. Tells the story of this amazing woman’s determination to continue with her artistic life of dance, music, and painting. She just made it happen for herself.

It also captures the remoteness of Death Valley Junction and the surrounding areas. I think I am going to need to buy this and share it with my friends.

Sadly, in the five years since this doc was made, Marta has lost her companion and performing partner “Wilget,” and sustained a back injury by falling from a chair while rehanging a curtain. I think we missed the most vibrant of her performances, but even now at 82 and sitting in a chair she’s a pretty moving person.

If you live within 300 miles (LA/San Francisco), you really should get yourself out there and see her.

The documentary’s website

No comments: