Monday, October 23, 2006

Homeward Bound - Sunday 10/22/2006

Mom walking to get a good shot, near the Furnace Creek Inn.



Thank goodness this instruction was posted inside the bathroom door at the gas station in Furnace Creek, or I might still be there!



A view of Death Valley from the grace of the oasis at Furnace Creek.



We took Wildrose Road on our way out of Death Valley. We were forwarned to watch for wash-outs. It was narrow and slow going because the road was washed away in some places, but hard-packed and dry yesterday.

We discovered the foundations of buildings and stone steps like these leading to them. Also a cave up these steps and around to the right. There was water there apparently, and from poking around on the Internet, I surmise that this is Wildrose Spring.

It was cool and pleasant there.


Yes, I admit it. We stopped at Randsburg on the way back for another Cherry Bomb (cherry ice cream soda) and to try the hamburgers. Yum. There were a lot of off-roaders stopping in for food and wet stuff.


We got home around 3:30 in the afternoon. I feel like we were gone for about a week. So many wonderful images to carry in my head for the rest of my life. And a great time with my mom, who is so much fun to travel with. We decided whether to do various things that presented themselves and I know that neither of us had to worry that the other would miss something she really wanted to do because of the other.

And all this, including tickets, hotel room and gas, for way under those "cheap" Los Angeles Times Travel Section getaways. About $230 for both of us!

1 comment:

the last noel said...

Oh, the blue skies in your last coupla posts are making me swoon.