Sunday, January 21, 2007

Paris Calling... Sunday 1/21/2007



I love this book. I just finished it. I asked for it for Christmas because I thought it was going to be a guidebook. (And I’m going to be in Paris in May!)

Well. It is in a way, but it’s also a kind of magical book about writing. The very sort of thing that appeals to me. It asks for upping my commitment to writing. That’s the best thing I took away from The Artists’ Way, the challenge to challenge myself. (Which led me to join a writing group, go to a writer’s conference, get a story published, apply for and receive a fellowship, help create writing retreats for my group, take personal time off to write, etc.)

Maisel encourages us to dream, and to dream big. He asks us to challenge ourselves and treat ourselves and go be a writer in Paris. Boy oh boy do I want this.

But he also talks about doing it in other places and in other ways. I found it perfectly inspiring and uplifting, and I doled it out to myself in short bursts.

I may just reread it right away. I may just have a writerly crush on Eric Maisel, whose The Art of the Book Proposal is also helping me quite a lot right now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just added his "Fearless Creating" to my Amazon shopping cart in clear violation of my efforts to stop shopping there.

Looks pretty good, though.

Liz Dwyer said...

Sweet that you are going to Paris in the springtime! I might have to check this one out.

The Moon Topples said...

Sundry: That was me above (buying a book). For some reason, my Moonish login wasn't working. Anyway, I also wanted to let you know that I'm hosting a short fiction contest soon over at my page, and I truly hope you'll consider entering. Rules were posted today if you wanna check them out.

Sorry to post off-topic. Just trying to get the word out.

Sundry said...

Glad you posted! I am sharing the info with my markets email list. Thanks!