Wednesday, January 24, 2007

This Is Misleading - Monday 1/22/2007




Okay, I could have titled this post "This Billboard is a Big Fat Lying Lie."

Fair Oaks? I think not. I've seen the place. They not only scoured the land of the live oaks and junipers, but they cut down the very mountains that once sustained them.

This place was built on peaks that were once so steep that I thought they were safe from development. But unlike the older Los Angeles hillside neighborhoods like Echo Park and Silverlake, etc. the developers don't have to work with the landscape at all. They simply destroy geologic structures that took eons to build.

And then they build the houses so close together that there's no chance for an oak to find a home there again.

It hurts me, you know?

Some days, it's all I can do to stop myself from imagining all the beautiful mountains in my life in their possibly diminished futures. Amputated.

This is the main reason I personally seek the zen of the now. To see those mountains as they are today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well now... if this is "Misleading Monday" will we have "Tangled Tuesday", "Woebegone Wednesday", "Throbbing Thursday", "Frabjous Friday","Snicker-snack Saturday", "Son-of-gun Sunday?"
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

I'm sorry, I just got carried away. I'm just standing around in uffish thought as I rest here by the Tumtum tree. I'll just quietly go galumphing back to work.

Liz Dwyer said...

I had no idea that developers were just razing mountains as well nowadays. That's just crazy, a prime example of materialism run rampant.

the last noel said...

Ugh, I feel your pain! It amazes me how we treat the earth.