Thursday, June 14, 2007

Place des Vosges - Tuesday 5/22/2007

We set off throuh the city on our way to a couple of parks suggested by Eric Maisel as good places to write. I'd written for two hours in bed before we took off, so I was feeling rightious and ready for a little more scribbling. (Since arriving in Paris, I'd been writing at least 2 hours a day. That was the deal.)

We saw this street art on the rue San Andres des Arts, I think.


Lions on one of the four fountains in the Place des Vosges. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. I mean, on of the things they are proud of about this place is the uniformity of the buildings, as you'll see if you click on a link. Huh. I mean one of the things I like about Paris is that the builders will give you 10 angles on a roof that in the States you'd only be able to muster one or maybe two for. (I know I have an example of this somewhere in the 1770...)



We followed Maisel's directions to a perfect little park called V???? Saint Gilles. Just a small place where like-minded people come to quietly enjoy lunch. This guy was feasting on one of the crisp and delish panninis you can buy on the street.



We saw examples of this street art recurring in various places. Wish I'd taken more shots of them!

We went from the park in search of a shop called Cornershop that I'd seen an ad for in the Metro. Cool little designer housewares. Then to Monoprix, where I found a perfect carafe for my eau for only 2.60 Euros!

On our way back to the busstop, we ran into the amazing ceramics and silverware shop La Vaissellerie. Absolutely my kind of place. I bought some little espresso spoons, six for 3 Euros, and a little yellow pot I'm using for butter, and a couple of other little things. We're not big shoppers, but when we do, we enjoy ourselves.




Cute baby's tee shirt we saw in a shop window on the way home... "My mommy always says yes."

Booked a hotel for our last night just around the corner from the cybercafe. Whew. Nice to have that settled. We'd enquired at about 8 local hotels, but they were all full. Hmph. And Vladimir had told us not to worry, he'd help us find a place. He did not. Ah well.

No comments: