Thursday, August 02, 2007

Bob Bob Bobbin' Along - Wednesday 8/1/2007


The Elegant E gave me a Big Boy bobble head last night!

I love him. He's the perfect size for my slimline monitor!

Now it's all Bob, all day long.

There's so much to tell you about Bob's. I was in there Monday morning, and the Old Lech (trust me, I'm sure about this moniker but I can't tell you everything all the time or this would be the Big Boy Blog) was joined by a friend.

The Jolly friend was named "Man of the Month, well, Person of the Month" at a nearby country club. It was his fifth time and he was overjoyed. And loud about it. I was sitting probably 30 feet from him.

"I have five stars now. I'm a five star general at the Blank Club now! The wife and I had the haddock. It was delicious. " He pours sugar from the container into his coffee cup. "I feel just like Doug MacArthur."

Now that he's on a first name basis with the generals of World War II will he continue to patronize Bob's? I ask you.

On a less than cheery note, another guy was giving Waiter D a hard time. I found out when I went to the cash register that the customer had fallen on the freshly cleaned sidewalk out front. Luckily, Waiter D had put out the "Wet Floor" signs.

They comped him his meal, even though it really wasn't their fault. "Should I put it down to 'spillage?'" The cashier asked the manager. Sure. That's just good business. Easier to appease in the moment than to let something brew.

Ah, the high drama, the passion, the nitty gritty of life that we Morning Hawks witness...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you realize this. Maybe you're too young. Big Boy used to be Azar's in Fort Wayne. It was always a treat to go there. Then, for a while, there was one open in Huntington. When I went to Bloomington it was the same Big Boy guy but called Frische's.

"Drive in for a big, big, Big Boy
Drive in for an eatin treat.
A meal in one on a double-deck bun.
What a joy, Big Boy!"

One Christmas Eve my boyfriend Frank and I were in Huntington for Christmas. I made a special trip to Azar's to get their super duper ham and something sandwich. Turns out the mayo was bad and I spent Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day in the Emergency Room at Huntington Hospital. I missed my flight back and had to show my boss the papers from the hospital for him to believe me. I remember Mother just nicely called the restaurant and suggested they throw out the mayo. No screaming. No threats of lawsuits.

Big Boy History Lession #1

-- Bells

Sundry said...

Ooh, was that the Slim Jim sandwich? I remember that!

We used to always stop at the Azar's on the bypass and Mom and I would get the fish sandwich, which was two sort of logs of flaky cod. (Getting all nostalgic!) The Big Boy sandwich is still good, and they still serve spaghetti with chili on it (no WAY), and the fries are yummy with their special salt. I didn't go this morning, but I may be talking myself into lunch!

They actually have a lot of stuff from other Big Boys across the country in this Big Boy. Even a menu from Azar's! I saw it one day and told them that it's from Indiana. They didn't know!

I never knew it was a franchise like that until I went to Michigan. It's Elias Brothers' up there (quite a mouthful).