Monday, September 03, 2007

Hot Hike - Monday 9/3/2007


It all started out pretty idyllically around 7:30 this morning. It was fairly cool in the shade of our yard.

I liked this pair of shoes on a neighbor's front porch. Looks like they've been out and about too.



We decided to hike up my mountain, on the other side of the neighborhood from our house. A new fire road was bulldozed during a recent fire. Wow, it heated up fast once we were exposed to the sun. As you can see, there was no cover. It became very steep. The first 1/2 hour of the hike was all uphill, all in the sun.


See the little snippet of green at the base of this burnt shrub? Recovery is already beginning here and there.


Downtown Acton, CA. Still a nice place to live.

Especially if you have air conditioning. It was 90 degrees in the shade by the time we returned to our yard around 8:30 a.m.

3 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

Whew, it IS hot, isn't it? It is amazing though how stuff grows back so quickly.

the last noel said...

You know, I just get used to my running sched, which is to be out by atleast 7:30am. This way I can be done by 9am, before the heat. Of course, in another month or so, I'll have to get used to another sched, where I need to run later so I don't freeze my ass off.

Sundry said...

Liz - I'm looking forward to chronicalling the further recovery of the hills. And hoping that we don't end up with a lot of mud in our back yard!

Noel - Too funny. It's good to be in tune with the weather and the changing seasons, though...