Monday, September 03, 2007

The Whole Sugar Debate - Sunday 9/2/2007




There is no way I am going to live without sweet in my life. A cup of good black tea from China or India, dosed with a little milk and sugar is like a touchstone for me. It's something I've enjoyed since I was a kid. It provides a pick-up in the morning, a break in the afternoon.

I almost always brew tea before I start writing. The time it takes separates me from the rest of my routine and the smell and taste works like one of Pavlov's bells.

I've just decided to stop with the Splenda. I don't know. What's worse, some sort of mystery chemical or actual sugar? I usually drink 3-5 cups of tea a day, with a teaspoon of sugar in each. This seems like a lot, but I guess it's about a quarter of what a person gets in a Coke Classic.

So...I'm going back to sugar. Turbinado sugar, just to give myself some feeling that I'm at least trying. Used to be I'd use real sugar only in the premium teas I brew from loose leaf mostly on weekends, and Splenda in the restaurant service tea I get at diners.

2 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

I gave up Splenda last year when I stopped drinking coffee. I figured sugar was better too. I think the regular sugar actually tastes better.

fingerstothebone said...

Welcome back; I was wondering if you had gotten sick or something, although I did receive a couple of email listings.

I say go for the real thing everytime. Have the real butter, have the real cream, and have the real sugar. Just do it with moderation. If you worry that you're having too much sugar, maybe do a skimpy teaspoon instead of a full, but have the real thing.

I love those rituals that gives you that 'before' & 'after' separation between parts of our lives. I always brew some tea too before I get into the studio.