Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Big Scoop - Sunday 10/21/2007


We decided to take Sierra Highway back from our grocery shopping trip to Palmdale today because the wind through the pass on the 14 between us and town was very high. On the way back, we saw this water scooping plane at Lake Palmdale (a reservoir.) It and another plane were taking water to the fires in Agua Dulce and Canyon Country.


Never underestimate the strength of having a good driver/partner if you're getting into photography. Hydra drove us right into the hunting club on the edge of Lake Palmdale even though it said it was for members only. We parked and got out and just stood there waiting for the planes to come back!

I kind of doubt I would have had the nerve to drive in myself.



Agua Dulce and Canyon Country are 10-15 miles west of us. We're watching it on the news right now. Hydra drives right through the area they are talking about burning. Sierra Highway at Vasquez (which is also where our favorite veggie stand is), Plum Canyon, Bouquet Canyon.

Clearly, he wouldn't be going to work tomorrow even if he weren't taking it off to accompany me to the hospital.



Taking off to go help. About a 5-minute turn-around Amazing. As I was writing this, we saw footage of these same scoopers diving low over the flames and dumping their water.

Be careful, guys!

I can't imagine how hard it is for the firefighters and their spouses. All these fires--something like a dozen--started today. If you are hearing about the Santiago Canyon fire in Orange County, that's not near us at all, though Santiago Road, Los Angeles County is.



Back at home, there were several big limbs like this down in the yard. They're about 5 inches wide at the thickest part where they broke.

We saw a big branch down in the neighbor's yard, and Hydra and I thought it might be from our tree. He went over to offer to drag it out (good man!) but it turned out to be from one of their trees.

Now we're watching fire coverage. There was a story on Sixty Minutes about how fires are getting bigger and bigger. One firefighter said that there are no doubters regarding climate change on a wester fire fighting force.

3 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

Glad you all are okay so far. Keeping you in my thoughts for sure. I'm watching the footage on KCAL9 right now. I also saw that 60 minutes story -- how appropriate given what's going on out here today.

Those firefighters really have a tough job. I don't know how they do it.

Be safe.

Anonymous said...

Sal, hope you are all still safe and away from those fires! Been concerned that they were getting too close. Hope your surgery went well also. Cuz Jul Indiana

the last noel said...

I don't think I've ever seen pics of the actual scooping. It's amazing. I hope you're well.