Friday, October 26, 2007

Post Apocalyptic Pastels - Friday 10/26/2007


Another shot over the neighbor's house. Braveheart says they're getting gorgeous sunsets from the smoky skies down in Los Angeles proper. We're getting these soft dawns.

In all the hubbub of going down to the hospital in Panorama City again yesterday for my post-op appointment, I forgot to take a photograph. Harumph. Ah, the stories I could tell. The queasiness I could invoke....

I will just say now that I am through it, the Kaiser Permanente Hospital in Panorama City doesn't engender a lot of confidence by its level of cleanliness. The patients bathroom in the pre-op area was FILTHY and I'm going to let them know what a bad impression that makes. Really, overflowing wastebasket, absolutely dirty floor. Shocking.

And the operating room... About the last thing I thought after I scootched onto the table was that this looked like a set from a hospital movie set in the sixties. They're building a whole new hospital right there, but the old facilities are really pretty barren and primitive looking.

I was crying. The nurse asked what was wrong.

"Just scared." I said.

She told me to think of something nice, so I imagined a beach scene. Running into the waves with Tomasina and Braveheart and Marian just a couple of weeks ago, feeling so alive.

While I was out, I dreamed that the surgeon was there on the beach with us, in full surgery garb. He buried my gall bladder in the sand, just below the high tide line.


Perhaps TMI regarding gall bladder surgery recovery. Stop here if you wish. (This means you, Dix.)

The disconnect between what the doc says the after effects are and what I learned on 43Things (and seems to be the truth) is fairly broad. He kept saying, "no known post-operation symptoms" and all foods are okay "as tolerated." This is apparently a very subtle real world code for stay close to a bathroom once you start eating again.

Zero appetite. Eating fresh fruits, crackers, and broth.

4 comments:

fingerstothebone said...

Speedy recovery!

Your description of the hospital indeed does not engender confidence. (Did you take a picture... (: )

Sundry said...

Fingers- Ha, no. I was stripped of all my earthly belongings.

Very surreal to walk around without a bag full of pens, notebooks, camera, wallet, etc. Not even wearing my wedding ring or the ring my mom gave me about 25 years ago that I always wear. Just my ID and insurance card, in Hydra's wallet!

I haven't forgotten about the black bag...it's just been out of the forefront. ;)

Liz Dwyer said...

Gosh, take it easy! And thank goodness that hospital is getting a makeover. It makes you wonder what other kind of germy stuff you can't see behind closed doors though, doesn't it?

Sundry said...

Liz- It truly does. KP usually sends a little survey after a doctor visit to see how it went, and I'm hoping they send one about this. If not, I'm going to find out where to write. That was a little scary, but everything was already in motion!