Sunday, December 16, 2007

Carolers! - Sunday 12/16/2007


How cool!

As I hoofed it up the hill toward the house at the end of my hike/walk this evening, I heard these kids walking up the street talking, gearing themselves up to sing, but I thought they were just goofing around.

They knocked on the door as I was walking into the bedroom in my sweats to change into p.j.s.

"Oh, no," I heard, "That's the second one!" I hadn't clearly heard their knock and I wasn't sure they were on the front porch.

"She's coming back!" I heard as I popped back into the library. I guess you can see right through those sheers when you're outside in the dark.

This excited bunch from the Vasquez High School Service club also left me a candy cane with a note of cheer and a couple of little pom pons attached... and no strings! They didn't ask me to contribute to anything.

[EDIT: Oops! Forgot to mention that they sang a cheery "Jingle Bells" while they were here. Thanks, Raul V!]

Very cool. I'll write a note of thanks and send it over to the high school. And to think only yesterday I was dissing their namesake!

Have I mentioned recently how much I love my little town?

4 comments:

Cap'n said...

Did they sing at all?

the last noel said...

Oh, what lovely smiles. The last time someone showed up at my door, it was the wrong apartment they were knocking on. Ho-hum. I much prefer your visitors.

Anonymous said...

Read through the conversation -- nice (well, mostly; that part about the beaver's death is difficult) & well transcribed. I'm wondering if the older man had any sort of accent to "place" him; i.e., what part of the U.S. he might have been from originally? (Just curious.)

-CCC-

Sundry said...

CCC - Thanks for letting me know. I know, the beaver thing was pretty awful. He sounded pretty basically Midwestern and he's been in SoCal a long time. But if I had to guess, there may have been a slight lilt of the northern Midwest's Scandinavian heritage. A bit of broadness in that repeated "Oh yeah" with no comma in between the words.