Sunday, January 13, 2008

#6 Atonement (2007)

Loved it, loved it, loved it. I also loved the book. Either they did a great adaptation, or they did one that will please people who read the book.

This is totally my kind of movie. Tragic romance. And an unconventional narrative style.

I would say that if you liked The English Patient you will like this movie.

The score is brilliant. I won’t tell you why, but I think it is. Parts of it reminded me of Gabriel Yared, who scored a couple of Anthony Minghella’s movies (including The English Patient.) I was just wondering if Atonement was directed by Minghella, when he showed up as an actor at the end of the film!

I must know the story behind this. Guess Joe Wright (the actual director) was giving him a nod, at the very least.

Oh, and James McAvoy. Where has he been all my life?

DON'T say it, I know. Growing up. (But only for the last like, half of it. It's just mortifying.)

3 comments:

fingerstothebone said...

Yes! James McAvoy! We're in luck, looks like he'll be in a bunch of movies coming up in 2008 -- some action movie with Angelina Jolie, a movie with Christina Ricci playing a girl with a pig snout (!), and seems like there was something else. Both of these looked great in the previews.

Liz Dwyer said...

I really loved the film as well. I can't say enough good things about it. I loved the book too and thought this was a great adaptation.

Sundry said...

Fingers and Liz- It's nice to know that women I respect also loved this movie. I thought it might just be a chemical reaction or something. ;)