Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Today in L.A. - Tuesday 1/8/2008


The bowls on display at New Stone Age on Third Street are really lovely.

But seriously, folks? Fifty-five dollars each? This just gives me a stomach ache. Who needs bowls that cost this much?

I window shopped and browsed along the street of brazen dreams for about 45 minutes this morning, waiting for Chado to open, so I could indulge in some good teas. Treated myself to two ounces each of a gold tipped Assam and a nice Darjeeling. A morning and an afternoon tea for my writing day tomorrow.

Overheard at The Cook's Library, regarding a customer's daughter's crush on Jake Gyllenhall: "Have her come in and sit on the couch. He's in here all the time."

"He's a cook?"

"More of a foodie."

Do tell.



Apparently having enough money to buy $50 bowls and $125 stemware doesn't instantly make you tactful. Signs like these were not uncommon.


In the thrift stores along Fairfax in Little Ethiopia, no one feels the need to tell you to mind your manners. Poking around the old stuff made me so happy. I picked up a couple of darling little 3 ounce glasses for fifty cents each.

Then I crossed the street for lunch at Merkato. I have eaten there probably four times and have always ordered the trout because it was recommended by the woman who introduced me to the place. Honestly, this is consistently the best trout ever. Crisp outside, tender and moist inside. And you get to eat it with your hands.

Sundry is one happy day-tripper.


And the beat goes on. On my way home, I had another opportunity to honk for the WGA. A lot's been going on, but none of what I've heard seems to be moving things any closer to a conclusion.

Kind of sad about the Golden Globes being canceled. That awards show always seems like so much fun. If I could get a ticket to an awards show (and a dress--it ain't no good being Cinderella in her home-duds), I'd choose this one... or the Independent Spirit Awards.

Cool Thing: Attention budding filmmakers: United Hollywood is sponsoring its First Annual Short Film Contest, where you can make a statement about issues related to the WGA strike. Paul Haggis, Marti Noxon and Callie Khouri will judge. Come on, you know you wanna!

No comments: