Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Foot at the Gym - Wednesday 8/20/2008



Had a kind of wretched day at work. It lasted from 6:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. I took a script with me to read over a stress-eating lunch which included the dreaded french fry. (Okay, french fries.)

A fairly new client--who is not completely educated in what we do here--yelled at me over the phone, questioning our methods, our charges and by extension my integrity. It was highly unusual. I stood my ground, but it was no fun.

On the way home I stopped at the gym, thinking I'd just do the minimum. Maybe 20 minutes on the elliptical or some weight machines.

But there was a spinning class starting shortly after I arrived. Usually I'm in and out of the gym by the time it starts at 5:15. I tried spinning when it first came out in 1847 or thereabouts, when I was working at UCLA and using the gym there and I didn't like it much. I figured I could do part of the class here and feel okay about leaving early.

Wow, the class was aMAZing. Dimmed lights, good music, and a really responsive bunch of fellow spinners. Halfway through the hour-long class I thought I couldn't do any more. But, as I sometimes do with the elliptical machine, I thought I'd just try for another five minutes.

I hit a zone! It was incredible. Lovely endorphins washed away everything. I did the whole class and felt really proud. I didn't think I could really hack 60 minutes at that activity level, but it was great.

I stopped for Thai carryout along the way and didn't get home till 7:30 (15 hours after leaving home and about 1 1/2 hours before bedtime) but to quote Bill Murray in Meatballs, "It just doesn't matter."

Yay, gym!

2 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

Good grief, sorry you had to deal with the drama with the client but how nice to work it out at the gym!
I've always wanted to try a spinning class but I'm afraid I'm going to die! And LOL about the 1847 thing.

Sundry said...

Oh, you'd be fine in the spinning class with all the running you do. It hurt at some points...just muscle use, not joints. But what's really amazing, is that the only pain I've felt in the two days since is on my sit bones from coming down a little hard on the seat a couple of times! I'm in better shape than I thought. You'd ace it!