Sunday, February 01, 2009

My Foodie Kitchen - Sunday 2/1/2009


For the past few months I've been really trying to get into the habit of cooking ahead for the week so I don't have to scramble for my lunches. I like a hot lunch, so soups of various kinds have been popping up a lot.

Today I put together a beef soup using a small tin of beef from Trader Joe's, potatoes, baby portobella mushrooms, beef Better Than Bouillon, water, onions, garlic, olive oil and rosemary. Barley would be nice rather than potatoes, but I didn't have any barley.



I think I saw Gordon Ramsay do this on one of his shows. You don't have to take the time to cut the herbs off the stem. They'll infuse into the broth this way. In the case of rosemary, which can be a little prickly, this is especially nice.



Don't the carrots look great in there? The rest of the two pounds I bought went into the oven to be roasted. (See the next post for a link to that simple recipe.)



Potatoes in waiting. Everything just looked so good this morning, I had to stop and take lots of pix!


Hydra digs into the finished product. Steamy-licious!

It came out pretty good, though a bit salty because the broth was mostly from Better Than Bouillon.


I also roasted cauliflower and onions and garlic. Mmm. You want lots of brown bits on the cauliflower if you try roasting it yourself. (400 degrees, turn a couple of times in about 30 minutes in the oven.)

This will mix with the roasted carrots for a salad or a side dish. Mmmmm.

No comments: