Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Horse Lady - Wednesday 8/9/2006

This woman lives in my town. She is magic on horseback. She rides around barefoot, often riding like this, with one foot on the back of each horse.

She rides like this in the Acton 4th of July Parade. When we first moved out here and went to the parade, I heard some people talking about her. Saying that she’s good with horses, but not much else. And that she’s raising her son to be the same way, caring only about horses and not so much about school work. They said she was kind of crazy.

I think we can do with more of that kind of crazy in the world. And wouldn’t it be better to have a life that includes moments like these than to be, say, a really great auto parts store manager?

This looks to me like courage and strength and a direct connection to the universe.

3 comments:

the last noel said...

This looks so freeing!

Liz Dwyer said...

Good for her to teach her son how to ride a horse like this. There are lots of folks who unfortunately only teach the academics and avoid a true talent like this because they believe it won't get their child into a good business school.

Definitely know I won't see something like this here in Silverlake. But wouldn't it be amazing if I did!

Anonymous said...

I wish I lived a life where my son and I had the opportunity to be "crazy" like this! What a wonderful gift of appreciation and exploration she seems to be giving him. Maybe your neighbors will learn from them in at least some small way. Thank you for the pictures--I am glad to have the chance to know this woman exists somewhere in the world!