Saturday, November 25, 2006

Feeling Like a Winner - Saturday 11/25/2006


That's what they call you on NaNoWriMo when you write 50,000 words in 30 days. And that's what you feel like too!

What an amazing thing! I actually have a first draft, very nearly complete, and it actually has a plot. My writer friends will rejoice for me. I am not the go-to gal for plot. I would sit and describe an early morning hike or a good looking man for six pages if I could get away with it.

But I powered through this, and I have an actual series of events, and characters I love enough to want to go back and straighten things out for. There are some blind canyons, some conflicting character elements that will need work. It's a true mess, but it tells a story. And the story will support what I really want to say about these people.

I am astonished, empowered, so so grateful to the people who put together NaNoWriMo, and to all of you who cheered me along this path. I respond very well to positive feedback.

[Dancing a silly silly victory dance around the room, out into the yard, and back again!]

And on the 25th day, the tea turned to hot chocolate. And there was whipped cream. And it was good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danced out to the yard even? You must be thrilled!

Rest assured that even your non-writer friends will rejoice for you.

Congratulations on your victory!

mltt

P.S. I would certainly soak up six-pages worth of description for a dandy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! And yeah, lets see those 6 pages on a good looking man! Do I get to pick someone?

Shu-Ju

Anonymous said...

fireworks! sparkly things! blue ribbons fluttering and crowds cheering! Hear us? Just wish we had a picture of your victory dance!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh, here we go, six more pages on Ralph Fiennes.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Congratulations! You have every right to be proud and happy.

I have problems with plot, too, although the rest is easy. I need to check out NaNoWriMo. Thanks for the tip!

Hot chocolate with whipped cream. Priceless.