Sunday, March 11, 2007

Brrring! - Saturday 3/10/2007


Hydra and I watched Stranger Than Fiction this evening.

I loved this movie. I never thought that I’d say that about a Will Farrel movie, but the lad done good. I love any filmmakers who use Emma Thompson, or Linda Hunt, or Tom Hulce (barely recognizable), or Tony Hale, and here they are, all of them. Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Gyllenhall and Queen Latifah are wonderful too.

I have a feeling that movies about writing are to writers what movies about Vietnam are to Vietnam vets. Each feels vehemently that the experience was or was not truly captured, depending upon her/his own experience.

I completly loved Emma Thompson’s writer. Yes, yes, yes. I think the problem with my first (unsold) novel is that I didn’t want to do to the main character what needed to be done. When I eventually go back to it, I will have to kill some darlings.

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT:::::::::::::::::

Reason number 1 billion and 8 why I adore Hydra.

Toward the end of the film, he put it on pause and went to the kitchen for something. The phone rang. It was about 9:15. I didn’t want to answer it. I’m organizing a campout and I figured it was someone from there.

“Don’t answer it!” I hollered.

But then I thought better of it, and picked up the phone.

“Hello, this is Logan,” a voice said.

Yes, the hair did stand up on the back of my neck for a second. That’s the name of the main character in the novel I’m working on!

He couldn’t hold it for long, though. Of course, it was Hydra, gaslighting me in his own inimitable way. LOL!

1 comment:

fingerstothebone said...

Great story about Hydra, but I don't understand why it's a movie spoiler...

And I'm just talkative today, I guess.