Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Disturbing News - Monday 3/12/2007


Monday morning at Bob's, HT says to me, “We just received some very disturbing news.”

“Yes?”

“D—You know D? He works up here?” he says, pointing to the booths along the broad expanse of window up front.

“Yes.”

“He is going to Iraq. T just told us. It’s very disturbing news.”

“It is,” I agree. My stomach clenches and my eyes suddenly feel full. D seems like a very good man. Sometimes when he comes in at six a.m. he is still wearing his night watchman’s uniform. He has a family. If he’s already working two jobs, how’s he supposed to support them on a military salary? And the man had a stroke in the past year or so, how can they call him up?

“Do you know if he has a couple of weeks or anything? Will we see him again before he goes?” I ask when HT comes by to refill my hot water pot.

“I don’t know,” HT says, “T just told us. It’s ridiculous. He’s in the Reserve. He already served, and they’re sending him back. What for? It’s useless.”
HT is from Thailand, I think. He is in his mid- to late-thirties, like D, and he and has a heavy accent.

“I just heard last night on 60 MinutesAndy Rooney said they are going to recruit drop-outs and ex-cons. You’ll get people who beat up little grandmas in walkers.”

“A lot of people are in jail for drug offenses,” I say, “Put them over there in high stress situations, and how are they going to react?” These are the people who D is supposed to rely upon for support? These are the people who are supposed to support each other?

“People shouldn’t be punished for drugs. It is its own punishment. They lose their lives.” HT stands in the aisle, forming some sort of drug apparatus with his hands, “Don’t breathe it. Don’t do it.”

I am so upset about this. I could cry. I could yell. Very disturbing news indeed

I find myself watching the door as the six o’clock shift comes on. No D.

I hope I get a chance to talk to D before he goes. If he goes. Hopefully, he will not have to go for medical reasons. If he does, I want to tell him to keep in touch. I'm sure my office will rally to send him care packages.

HT put it well. This is very disturbing news.

2 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

That is such sad news. I don't want anyone to have to go to war, but I wish these lawmakers kids had to do it. Things would be alot different, I'm sure.

the last noel said...

Oh, boy. This is one saving grace for being openly gay--I can't serve.