Thursday, March 15, 2007

All's Quiet on the Home Front - Wednesday 3/14/2007


No word regarding D's possible deployment to Iraq. I don't think he wanted anyone to know about it, because when I asked HT if he'd heard anything, he said, "No, just what T told us the other day."

Even Grumps--who clearly likes D a lot--and the other servers don't seem to know what's up. I guess my instincts were correct the other day.

Maybe if D's going to go for a medical out because of the stroke, he doesn't want everyone to know about it. Hey, whatever it takes.

My concern for my friend Scryblgrrl mounts. She was in the Army for something like ten years and served in the first Gulf War, probably around the time D did, given their ages. She's heard from friends who stayed in for careers about how the military is not properly supporting them. She knew about the lack of body armor, etc., long before it hit the news.

Yes, I'm a liberal. Or am I supposed to say progressive? I don't know for sure. I don't think we can get rid of the military. But I believe that they have put their trust in the government to direct them to do the right thing, and we have to let the government know when we think they're off.

Supporting our troops means acknowledging their amazing willingness to put themselves on the line and not asking them to do it for the wrong reasons. It also means following up with services once they get home. They've given much more than just the years or months they are actually in service. They've also given up paths their lives might otherwise have taken.

Like Hydra, for instance, who probably would have become a skating pro if he hadn't gone to Vietnam.

No comments: