Thursday, March 01, 2007

She Shoots, She Scores! - Thursday 3/1/2007


It's amazing what pleasant insistance will get you. I used to be such a wimp.

I went to AAA today to get my International Driver's Permit and to pick up whatever goodies I could score based on my Premiere membership. We have this top o' the line membership because we have a travel trailer, and at this level, AAA promises to tow our rig up to 200 miles at no additional charge.

Annnnyway, I go up to the main desk and tell the nice young feller that I want to get my permit, and could I pick up my free Europe books and maps there. "Oh, no, I'm sorry, there's a charge for our Europe materials. But they'll know more about that in Travel."

Okie dokie.

I meet Barbara in travel. She takes my picture (which makes me look jaundiced and horrid) for the permit. She asks if I would like another shot. I tell her that I could waste her whole afternoon and it wouldn't get much better. I honestly don't take a good photo. When I was young and fit and met a friend of Hydra's mother for the first time she exclaimed "Oh, she's so much prettier than her picture!" and then clapped her hand over her mouth. Yeeeys. Thank you.

Barbara's inputting my city of birth. She's never heard of it, which is odd because she hears of most places. I tell her it's about 35 miles from Fort Wayne, IN. "They have an airport there, and everything. Very high falutin'." She smiles.

"Acton," she says, "You do have a commute, don't you?"

"Yes, I've found my remote town here. We lived in Hollywood and Sherman Oaks before moving out there."

"Hollywood..." she murmers.

"That was twenty-five years ago," I say.

"Well, it was pretty good back then," she says. Not true. But a it's a nice idea.

"Well, I was pretty good back then," I say, "So it was easier."

She laughs out loud.

When I inquire about the maps and books, Barbara tells me that, yes, there are some select books available, but no maps.

"Oh," I say pleasantly, "Could you double check that? I just looked online and it said books and maps were included."

"Hmm," says Barbara. "Let me check on that."

Barbara comes back with a stack of books and maps. Barbara then offers me an AAA sucker from her secret stash.

"There's a rumor that they're sugar free," she tells me, "But I don't believe it. They're too good."

I tell her about the houseboat on the Seine in the heart of Paris that we are planning to stay in for 3 nights. She would like to know how that works out. She'd love to have something unique to offer her clients.

I will let her know. I love passing on good things.

Back when I was pretty good and living in Hollywood I wouldn't have been so persisant. I wouldn't have gotten the two Frommer's guides and the cool maps.

But I think I might have gotten the sucker for good behavior.

3 comments:

the last noel said...

I think the best part of getting older is being just a little more persistent, don't ya think? Someday, I think I'll become a curmudgeonly fellow who won't budge until I get my way.

ksweets said...

you are still beautiful, now you just have the additional virtue of wisdom. ♥

Sundry said...

Darling Megan,

I knew that being related to you was going to have fringe benifits. Thanks. (I'm hearing very good things about you, girl.)