Saturday, August 11, 2007

Around Town - Friday 8/10/2007


As promised, a shot of the restored Papoo's Hot Dog Show sign.


The sign in context. The patio's around the back. This is one of those classic old eateries. They do some terrific diner food. My favorites: bacon breakfast burrito with salsa on the side, pastrami Reuben, vegetarian Reuben (both are served with avocado inside!), and the French fries.

I have only had one hot dog there in the 8 1/2 years I've worked down the street. It wasn't bad, I'm just not that much into hot dogs.



Just a cool converted garage that caught my eye. We parked near here on our way to McCabe's.



McCabe's Guitar Shop
on Pico. This place is hands down, my favorite concert venue in L.A. Because I like its small, unpretentious atmosphere, the quality of the acts, and the intimacy of the performances.

We saw Mort Sahl there last night and he was amazing. I don't know if I've ever laughed so often in an hour and fifteen minutes. He set a fun pace, and was so smart. John Stewart and Stephen Colbert have nothing on this man. Great tales of his experiences, commentary, etc.

I'm telling you, if you have an opportunity, see Mort Sahl live. He's one of the wits of our time.

No comments: