Monday, October 08, 2007

Memorial - Friday 10/5/2007


Remember I went to a memorial two weeks ago? That was for Tomasina's father. Today we all gathered again for the funeral of her mother. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be to lose both parents so close together.

This is the lovely portrait of Tomasina's mother that stood in the chapel where the service took place. She was expecting Tomasina when the portrait was painted.



At the graveside, we were each given balloons to release. Just as Tomasina's partner was explaining what we would do, a rush of wind rose from the ocean, visible from the cemetery. People laughed that it was her mother, impatient to be off.


They scrambled up the hilliside and away.


View of the Laguna coast from the back seat of Braveheart's car. Gorgeous.


We gathered at Tomasina's mother's house overlooking the sea. Tomasina gave away some of her things. Aren't these rabbit head canes beautiful?

And yes, we went in for a swim again. Tomasina, Marian (the 80-year-old who was with us last time!), Braveheart and I. It was cold and very rough, but there was less seaweed in the water. We walked past the privileged teens and Braveheart and I whooped and yelled as we went in.

Later, after a hot shower and a change into a comfy track suit (I learned my lesson last time), Marian and I shared a smile over our pair of swims.

"Last time I felt--" she said, and paused, looking for the word.

"A sense of joi d' vivre?" I filled in.

She grinned. "I was going to say, 'kelp in my suit.'"

Oh yeah. That too!

2 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

I'm glad Tomasina has such wonderful friends such as you all. It's got to be unbelievably tough emotionally to lose both parents so close together. And those rabbit head canes are lovely. How generous of her to share such treasures.

Sundry said...

Yes, generous! She gave me some wonderful jackets and a fabulous suede winter coat with such soft lining. I really needed it. The two coats I usually use, one I bought at a flea market in Germany in 1983 and the other after my dad's funeral in 1990! Quality wears well, but I'd just been thinking I needed a new coat.