Friday, November 23, 2007

Taking the Cake - Thanksgiving Day 2007


This is what it's supposed to look like. Except that it's supposed to be four layers rather than three.

But four won't fit in my vintage cake carrier!

So yesterday I frosted and caramel-glazed and pecaned the extra layer and put it on a paper plate and took it over to the retired single guy in our neighborhood who follows his dog around the hills half the day. I was a little nervous that he might think it was odd or that I thought he needed charity, but--yay!--he was just very pleased and maybe a little moved.

Everybody wins!



The mysterious city of oil. A couple of times a year we pass the Signal Hill/Long Beach area at dusk and I wish I knew where to set up a tripod and get a shot of this massive refinery all lit up.

Someday, maybe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to know how the cake looked, now please don't forget to tell us how it Tasted!
We had a great Thanksgiving in Indiana and a beautiful Day After with a soft blanket of snow.
Ahh....In another three months I will dislike Winter again, but for today it is wonderful.
Deb

Anonymous said...

whoa!...kind of spooky looking. Great picture! Wish I could be with you when you finally set up the tripod!
k

Sundry said...

Deb-- The cake's really good. I think it's best if you can make the iciing the day you're going to serve it. Very light.

Glad to hear it was a pretty day there!