Wednesday, April 02, 2008

More Style, Less Comfort - Monday 3/31/2008


Since I read Starbucked a couple of months ago, I've been even more interested in the Starbucks mystique and how it's evolving. Or devolving.

A large part of its success has been based on providing a "third place" for people to gather--the first and second being home and work. They even had a philosophy about using round tables because apparently you look and feel less alone at a round table than at a square one.

I look at the decor in the newer stores, like this one near the Riverside Boulevard exit off the 170 and I can't see that they're being very inviting anymore.



Yeah, this is a cool looking piece of furniture, but do you see yourself curling up with a book or a journal on this? Or even having a conversation that lasts longer than the time it takes for your back to start aching?



These tables could do some serious damage to the early-morning under-caffeinated visitor.

Where are the lovely deep purple overstuffed chairs? Where are the rounded tables? Where's my Red Eye and where am I going to sit and drink it?

I sat at a square table and wrote for about 45 minutes, but it didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Sigh.

No comments: