Saturday, April 25, 2009

Self-watering Planters - Part I - Saturday 4/25/2009


I went online to look at some brand name self-watering planters that I saw at Antipasta's house, and found wonderful directions for making them at home. Many thanks to the clever and generous Josh Mandel for publishing his design on his website. I won't go into much detail here, because everything you need to know to do it yourself can be found there.

Above: the raw materials in the back of the Tahoe. It takes two 18 gallon tubs to make each one. He recommends dark colors, but I am not going to walk away from lavender.



Getting started. Yay, I love a project!



Having the right tools is so important!


As it turned out, the batteries on our multi-function drill were not fully powered up. Enough for household stuff, but not enough to run the jigsaw.

In the interim, Hydra suggested I use the 1 1/2 inch drill bit with his Old School power drill to cut out the holes in the center of the part that will support the dirt. The big opening will allow water to wick up from the reservoir below, and you won't be able to see it when it's full of dirt.

Drilling all these holes was too much fun. Yeah, they called me Stagecraft around the IPFW Theater Department when I worked in the scene shop for Work Study.




See how it fits together?



I used one of the extra lids to carry the waiting plants around to the more sheltered front porch to await placement.

Decided that it's safe to move all the succulents out of the bathtub. They seem happy to be outside again.


The Granny Smith is budding out nicely!



Reward: freshly roasted asparagus with garlic and Parmesan.

No comments: