Thursday, June 04, 2009

What We Have Here is a Failure to Communicate - Thursday 6/4/2009

So I went for my fancy-schmanzy haircut in WeHo on Thursday. It was a lot of fun, and the stylist was very sweet and entertaining. He's in town for a couple of days, but is in the middle of taking care of the Divine Miss M during her current run in Las Vegas.

Yes, the last person before me whose hair he styled was Bette Middler. So that makes us sisters under the follicales or something, doesn't it?

All I know is, I can't stop humming "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy."



The before shot, in which I consider myself a blank canvas, ready to be transformed into a sophisticated woman-about-town ala--- I don't know, New Yorker cover art?



The after shot, which frankly doesn't look much different to me. The way he blow dryed it, it had a lot of bounce and curled up at the bottom.

Do you think I am ever going to be able to get it to do anything remotely like this again? Forecast is very iffy on that one.

I ended a twenty-minute bout with a curl brush and blow dryer in tears the other morning. It just wasn't happening. I was so frustrated and upset.

"Jeez, it's just hair," you're thinking, right? Well, it's just hair and I'm going to my 30th high school reunion in a couple of weeks. And you know, this cut was supposed to take 10 years and 20 pounds off my face.

I spent a few days moaning about this to anyone who would listen, thinking that what I should have said was, "Give me the most flattering haircut you can and I will make it work," instead of the more subtle, "I won't cry if you cut my hair short." I think when he asked why I let it grow out and I said to make it easy at the gym, he decided not to take much length off.



Please note that objects in foreground appear larger
than is actually flattering

I've been feeling like I blew my chance to get something different and exciting. But you know, this fellow deals with a lot of high-maintenance clients whose long hair is part of their careers. So he can probably do without the drama of a too-short cut.

Besides which, if I can't make his most simple cut work, how would I have fared with the makeover cut I had vaguely in mind?

As Los Angelista advised, I could go back and ask him to fix it. But you know, there is no chance I'll be spending $200 to see him again. And he's out of town for the next few weeks, tending to The Divine ( I feel I can call her that now).

So this morning (a few days later still) I wet it and let it go. He said the cut would release the curls if I decided not to blow dry.

This is my naturally wavy self. Maybe I should woman-up and just go with the natural thing my hair wants to do and fashion be damned.

Sigh.

6 comments:

Kathy Rogers said...

Wavy hair! Of course, having stick straight thin fine hair, I covet wavy hair. My mother used to try to set my hair on those big pink foam curlers.

The grass is always greener...

Sundry said...

Too true! Mostly, I like having the body and wave, but lately the style is so sleek... Ah well at least I _have_ hair!

fingerstothebone said...

In my head, I still see you with short short hair (when your photo is not staring at me straight in the eyes).

I cut my hair really short and have not regretted it. It's about 1.5" at the top. My parents didn't recognize me when I went to pick them up at the airport..."who's that guy waving at us?" Then they did it again when I went to pick them up at the mall...

Sundry said...

Yeah, it looks good on you! I've had my hair all different lengths. Maybe it's my attitude toward my face that's the problem rather than the hair!

the last noel said...

This was a great post, so tension filled. Or maybe I just think hair stories are so exciting. (OMG, your hair was touched by the hands who touched the Divine Miss M. Whoa!)

Sundry said...

Noel - Yeah, and he was so nice! It's good to write about things that don't work exactly the way I hope they will, but I feel like a bit of an ingrate for being so honest. Here on my trip to Indiana it doesn't really matter what I do with my hair, it's going to curl! :)