Wednesday, November 29, 2006

When Bad Things Happen to Good Writers - Wednesday 11/29/2006


I'm not making any claims about the quality of my writing but you would have to agree that in terms of quantity, I have been a very good writer this month.

I wrote another 2000+ words of character notes this morning before work. I'd left my USB drive on my desk yesterday. A simple one-block walk to my office before writing would have helped with about 50% of the sick feeling in my stomach right now.

I plugged in my trusty laptop to recharge it and to download my work to the USB drive, and...thump. It won't boot up. At all. It just whirs for a split second and then it stops. I've tried removing the battery, etc.

The manufacturer's warranty has expired. I think I bought the extended warranty. I would really like those notes and the outline I was so excited about having finished, more than even if they just gave me a brand new computer.

At least I have the whole manuscript on USB and printed out. It's just...potentially really sad.


[EDIT: IT'S OKAY!!!! I called the support service from Circuit City and they ran me through discharging all the power... It was more than just taking out the battery. And found out I may have a recall issue regarding static electricity. But the main thing is, my writing from this morning is all there, and now backed up on my USB drive, and being printed out imminently. Glad I didn't have a meltdown. I would have felt pretty silly.


To paraphrase John Lennon, happiness is a warm USB drive.]




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phew!

Glad it all worked out, SK.

mltt

Anonymous said...

oh oh oh oh! too close for comfort!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I was holding my breath. A computer crash stole some of my ms long ago before I learned to back up everything. I had a full-scale meltdown, and I'm glad you didn't have to.

What are you writing?

the last noel said...

Whew! I was freaking out for you.