Sunday, June 24, 2007

There are no pictures of Pasadena - Saturday 6/23/2007


Because in deference to my back issues, I didn't carry my camera with me. So you'll have to settle for this photograph of the little notebook I used while exploring some coffee houses for a project I'm working on with Gia.

Had a great day. Walked and walked. Exchanged my medium point Waterman for a fine point at Vroman's Fine Writing and Gifts. Signed up for the Vroman's Gives Back program which applies to the book store as well. You get to pick which charity or organization they donate 1% of the amount of your purchase to. I chose KPCC. [Larry Mantle's AirTalk is some of my favorite NPR programming.]

Bought a couple of books next door at Vroman's Bookstore. This independent bookstore is well worth traveling to for a nice long browse. They also have wonderful author events, children's programs, stationary, gifts, etc. Picked up a copy of Suite Francaise.

Saw Paris Je T'aime at the Laemmle Playhouse 7. If you are in the throes of an infatuation with the City of Light, or if you like watching the short film programs on IFC or Sundance, you will probably like this collection of 20 short films set in Paris. Only a couple fell flat for me, and several were absolutely perfect.

Walked all the way down into the heart of Old Town for more coffee house recon and for creme brulee and espresso (Hydra had a mini cheesecake and coffee) at Aux Delices. Which was good. But honestly, not as good as the desserts you can get for about half the price at Porto's Bakery in Burbank or Glendale, where the atmosphere is frankly also superior.

Do we see a pattern emerging? Are Sundry and Hydra becoming Francophiles?

To this link-laden post, I will also add a Cool Thing. I come across a lot of cool stuff in my job and because I have cool friends. I'm going to start passing them along when it pleases me.

Cool Thing: Gia sent me this link to morphing artwork. Interesting coincidence since I'd just noticed that all the magazines in the rack labeled Men's Interests and all those in the racks marked Women's Interests featured photographs of woman. We are just so...fascinating.

1 comment:

The Moon Topples said...

I have that very same notebook. I love the magnetic closing thingy.