Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Oops! I Did It Again! - Tuesday 6/26/2007



More diner infidelity. Actually, I don't know if I have anything to confess. Big Boy and I are a little--how should I say it?--estranged.

There was no anger, no recriminations. I think it's a case of How Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm Once They've Seen Paris? That and the fact that I can't seem to stop the Monday-Wednesday waiter from spooning up oatmeal the moment he sees me hit the parking lot. I had to turn it away twice. It's hard to un-train this guy.

Looking for other pastures. The Coral Cafe, which you may recall from even before the bon voyage, is a little pricy. So I tried another all-night diner in Burbank, Harry's Family Restaurant on San Fernando Road.

I liked it. I liked the little stylized Ses on the cups. I liked the clean aqua upholstery. I spent the entire hour there writing about the decor, the feel, the layout, the regulars.

This is what I call a grand, grand way to start the day. Couple that with talking with my Mom on the phone--yes, handsfree--on the drive in, and it was about as close to perfect as a workday morning can get.


Stopped by Porto's Bakery to pick up bolitos and croissants to go with the peach freezer jam, and had to also pick up some guava strudel (you MUST try these) and potato balls. A small gesture of thanks for all the work people did around the office Friday while I was nursing my back and they were prepping for the new carpet. OneL rallied Weens and Lunista to paint our office lavendar and off-white. It's so clean and light!

Oh, yeah. Update on the back thing. Remember the fall in Paris? Here's the scoop. Doc says that the radiologist says that he can't tell if the wonky bone in my spine is due to a little arthritis creeping in or due to a small fracture, but given that it didn't hurt before the fall and it did hurt afterward, I probably have a fractured spine.

Hey, if I broke my flipping back, I want credit for it. There's nothing do do, I guess. [shrugs] It's not debilitating.

2 comments:

the last noel said...

First: I love Portos; second: I hope your spine is okay--ouch!

Sundry said...

Glad to know that you know Portos. I have this theory that people who indulge in Portos lead a happier, more vibrant life. ;)

Thanks for the well-wishes!