Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Mele Kamikimaka... - Sunday 8/19/2007


...is the thing to say on a bright Hawaiian Christmas Day. And unfortunately, it's the only Hawaiian I know. Taught to me by der Bingel and the Andrews sisters, of course.

We were invited to a potluck luau in Moorpark and encouraged to bring island themed food. What I don't know about Hawaiian food could fill a cookbook. They were providing pork and pineapple upside-down cake. When I went Googling around the Internet all I could find was fish recipes (okay for home, but not for a potluck) and sweet and sour dishes. Not my thing.

Then I remembered the macadamia nut. If anything sings Aloha, it's the macadamia nut. I found a recipe for crab balls rolled in macadamia nuts, but I could more easily lay hands on good shrimp than good crab, so I made up my own very simple recipe for macadamia nut encrusted shrimp balls, pictured above.

They turned out great, and several of the women oohed and ahhed and said, "Yes! Sundry brought them!" (or something to that effect). Success!



Someone's guitar having a rest. There was a lot of music, as usual.

4 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

How wonderfully creative to think of macadamia shrimp balls. I too would have been at a loss. I would have brought the bag of Doritos and claimed that they were invented in Hawaii.

Sundry said...

LOL! I think maybe yours is the more creative approach!

Anonymous said...

oooh they look yummy! but will I ever get to try them? *sigh* k

Sundry said...

K- If you're the K I think you are, you might!