Friday, August 24, 2007

Oh, Snap! - Friday 8/24/2007


This is a snapshot I have been working up the nerve to take for at least six months, maybe even a year. This medallion is embedded in the tar in the crosswalk on the south side of Riverside Drive where it intersects with Pass Avenue.

I've wondered exactly what it is for months and months. Today as I trekked to the ATM to deposit my check I used a fellow walker as an unwitting shield and finally did it! It took less time than I thought to click off this photo and move on, but I would have felt like it took forever in the middle of this busy street if I hadn't had her pace to compare mine with.

This is how I get my kicks. You have your secret embarrassing ways, too, I'm sure.



Ha! Look at that! A quick check of the Internet confirms it: it's a Saint Christopher medal!

Upon returning to the office, I learned that Weens has also been trying to figure out what the heck this was. You really don't have much time to get across with the walk light here. She and I have crossed this thoroughfare together many times, neither of us admitting to our curious obsession. Now we know.

Also, we know that Weens has a nicer world view than I do. It didn't take much pressure to get her to confess her theory. "I think whoever paved that street put it there to protect the people crossing."

Now my take on this is that it's pretty amusing that this medal of all medals should be embedded in a street. I thought it was quite possible that it was knocked off some poor traveler as s/he traversed the byways of Toluca Lake.

I try to see this as a tendency toward a darkly humorous irony rather than crass morbidness.

Poor St. Chris. I remember hearing that he was taken off the Catholic calendar a couple of years ago. Went looking for confirmation and found that although I heard he was no longer an official saint recently, he was disbarred in 1969!

Now, that's impressive to remain probably the most famous and depended upon saint nearly 40 years after your church has dumped you.

I'm not religious and have never been Catholic, but I hope they don't ditch Saint Anthony or I will never be able to find anything.

2 comments:

Cap'n said...

I haven't quit reading I promise! I love this picture by the way... my name being Christopher and all haha very ironic

Sundry said...

Raul, my man! Good to hear from you. I'll have you know I took your advice and ordered a doppo with whipped cream. That or a redeye are my favorites. Cheers!