Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Stormy Bob - Wednesday 10/17/2007


The drizzle was almost gone by the time I took this shot, around 6:30 this morning, on my way out of Big Boy.

Yesterday I woke up at 1 a.m. and got so caught up in the book that was supposed to lull me back to sleep (Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen) that I was reading every last morsel of the author interview at the back when my alarm went off at 3:50.

So I drove down to Burbank but instead of going to Bob's I went and made a little nest on the floor of my office and slept during my usual writing time (5:15-6:30). I really needed it.

Today I was back at Bob's, making notes about the current novel as a whole. I recently wrote a scene that changes things and adds to the stakes and I feel good about it, but am taking Tomasina's advice to figure out where to go next rather than just charging happily forward.

This whole structuring thing is a puzzle. But I guess that's what makes it fun. The bulk of the plot as written during NaNoWriMo 2007 is still ahead of my heroine. Where does the new scene fit in? At the beginning? As back story after the original beginning?

2 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

3:50 in the morning? Sheesh!

I'm doing Nano this year...I'm a little scared!

Sundry said...

You should be! Mwaaa-hahahaha!

No, really, it's amazing. You'll do great. I found it rather transformative last year. Not doing it this year because I'm still working on the rewrite of last year's. But I'm hoping to be ready to use NaNoWriMo 2008 for the next book!

Be sure and take advantage of the resources on the website. You can ask questions about all kinds of things, and get support. One of my favorite aspects was the time challenge board, where you check in and say you're going to write for, say, a half an hour, and then check back in with your word count at the end.

I kept hitting 518 exactly over and over while others roared over 1,000. I think my best half hour was around 1,100 words.

I'm thinking about signing up just to be able to cheerlead my friends!