Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas Day 2007


O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum!

You can't really see them in this light, but we switched to lower-energy-use LED lights on the tree this year.

We had a great Christmas. Hydra woke up at 3:15 and there was no more sleep to be had. We opened packages that had arrived from people in other states, and a couple from each other. Did a little prep for dinner, set the table, etc. Most of the prep was done the day before.

The cousins arrived from Orange and Riverside counties around 11:00 and we broke out the Mimosas and the-- Let's call them Pimosas. Champagne and peach juice cocktails, for a change. Appetizers: homemade shrimp spread, cheeses, crackers, TJ's Sun dried tomato/pesto torta, kalamata olives, nuts.

Opened gifties from one another. Lots of goodies!

Dinner was pork tenderloin roasted with garlic, rosemary and sage; P's killer mashed potatoes, V's delish spinach pear and Gorgonzola salad, apple-sage stuffing, shaved Brussels sprouts with bacon.



Now the birdhouses I painted (but did not build) can be revealed. I had a lot of fun with these. Ended up doing two more. Green and another pink/lavender in another shape.



After dinner we drove over to Shambala for the traditional viewing of the lions. Okay, it's not a tradition yet, but it may be... It's only about 7 miles from us. This guy was in an enclosure near the road.


This big fellah huffed and puffed for us from down in the canyon. We just stopped along the road to look in.

Back to the house for apple pie and mincemeat pie, and tea. Everyone stayed till about dusk.

We felt really good about the day. And I have to admit, it was nice not to have to drive anywhere!

5 comments:

Kim said...

Pimosas sounds wonderful. I bought champagne and orange juice for New Year's, but now I'm thinking peach would be even better. The orange juice wouldn't go to waste.

I love the idea of going to see lions on Christmas. That would be an interesting non-traditional tradition. :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely Christmas. That's a tradition not many can claim! And the birdhouses are really pretty. Bet that was fun. k

Anonymous said...

I believe the drink you made with the champagne and the peach juice is commonly called a Bellini, but Pimosas is a cuter name. Merry Christmas and I hope you have a Happy New Year!
Love,
Momalisa

Sundry said...

Momalisa! Thanks for the enlightenment! I had heard of the Bellini, but had no idea that's what it was. Stumbling into ecstasy again. Also had no idea you visited here. Thanks for commenting, and I hope you have a great New Year, too!

Anonymous said...

Yes I am visiting you here since I don't know when our paths will cross again. It's my way of seeing you until the strike ends. As much as I am enjoying this time off I do miss some of my work buddies. I'm so glad you have this blog because now I get to hear about how you spent the holidays.