Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Old Things - Tuesday 12/26/2006


I find using old things very comforting. I'm not hugely into antiques, but I love the idea that this cup has graced other tables in other times. I gave a few very old things as gifts this year...a pretty silver spoon engraved with the year '04 (as in 1904), and a pretty porcelain ladle, amongst them.

The inventive and super-sneaky Hydra managed to smuggle this gorgeous teacup out of the antiques mall without my knowing it. I have a number of teacups, so I really can't justify buying another.

This one is truly unique to my "collection," because of the shape. I don't have any others with that slight curve inward at the top. Violets and Johnny-Jump-Ups are near and dear to my heart, since they dotted the back yard when I was a little kid. My sister made me violet leaf salads when I had a cold, because they were said to have helpful nutrients in them.

My writing practice usually starts with a cup of tea, as it did this morning, with this new cup to accompany me.

I'm grateful that Hydra supports my creative life and my silly fascination with tea and tea things.

5 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

What a lovely cup. As you're writing, you can think of all the other fabulous ladies who've held it over the years.

It does makes me think a little bit about my sister. She's afraid of antiques because she thinks evil spirits cling to certain objects, and if you buy the object at an antique mall, then you bring the evil spirit into your house.

Sundry said...

I can see how a person could go there, but I guess I have about the opposite feeling, that things might just carry warmth and goodness forward. (Maybe if you grant one you have to grant the other? Dunno...)

I have one cup that immediately gave me an image of a woman having tea alone in a department store in the late fifties or early sixties, wearing a light blue suit and matching pillbox hat. After a few days of using the cup I had to write about her, and she turned out to be newly married, suspecting she was pregnant, and thinking about how her life was about to change.

I don't go to antique stores very often, but sometimes I do like them.

the last noel said...

I think you can feel when a piece has negativity to it. I believe you take home things that match your own energy.

Once I was at an estate sale and was told the deceased was just my size and that I could probably fit into his clothes. He had incredible taste and bought several items. When I walked out, I fell flat on my ass and hit my head. It felt like the deceased didn't want me to take his things. I whispered to him that I promised to take care of his clothes and wear them well. The bad energy seemed to lift after that. To this day, I take care of his clothes--they really are nice itmes--and store them in plastic.

Sundry said...

Wow, great story, Noel. I actually went "mmmmm!" out loud when I read it!

Liz Dwyer said...

Antiques have seen lives lived and I like that. I agree, you can tell the vibe of an object. And Noel, that IS a great story.